Rockcrit and A-Mama Ann Powers thinks way too hard sometimes

Friday, October 28, 2005

small self promo and... a recipe!

I should write something deep and trivial but honestly I'm burnt. Nothing profound tonight.

I have a new column up at emusic.com on Richard Swift and the concept of the "drama club kid." Overlap with Douglas on the matter of Bertolt Brecht is complete serendipity.

On the subject of yummy -- I looked for a while for a recipe for quick bread that would provide my carb-hoarding Bebe with a little protein. Here's the one we like. I am not sure where I found it -- it's our recipe now! You can substitute for the banana -- I've tried canned pureed sweet potato, which works fabulously, and pumpkin, which is moister so you need to compensate with a little more flour. Also, when I want to feel extra healthy I substitute whole wheat flour for half the flour. You could throw in some soy flour too for an extra added good for ya bonus....



Banana Bread
Ingredients:
1 stick of butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 ripe bananas, mashed
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
1 cup soy milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 400° F. Grease a loaf pan (use Fleichman's unsalted margarine).
2) Beat together margarine and sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas until smooth.
3) Mix together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
4) Alternately stir flour mixture and soy milk into egg mixture until dry ingredients are just moistened.
5) Spoon batter into prepared pan, filling two-thirds full. Bake until lightly golden, 15 to 18 minutes. Serve warm.

I hope those of you in the blogosphere seeking "deep thoughts" try my recipes too. They are equally deep and far more nourishing. Without the wonders of the kitchen I would be a Beckett character by now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Stevie Nixed said...

I absolutely LOVE banana bread. One of the main reasons why my Hawaii trip was such a success. I still remember stuffing the bread in my mouth while sweating profusely because of the heat. I bought a typo-stuffed recipe book in some shop there even though I couldn't bake/cook at all. A few years later I made a couple of banana breads. I have to say it was good, but nothing like the one I had in Hawaii. Most probably because it didn't come with the necessary heat 'n' sunshine. ;-)

2:58 AM

 
Anonymous Water Damage Restoration Sandy Hills said...

Hello nnice post

5:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home