Advice for Myrtles
Had to post once more tonight, because this is the best advice list for infertile women I have ever read (that includes self-help books perused at Barnes and Ignobles). I stole it from this blog and it's by the author of this one:
1. Know when to stop treatment. Even my reproductive endocrinologist said "most women don't know when to stop".... Says the guy driving a $80,00 car.
2. Open your heart to other options. Understand that it doesn't mean failure, only another road you didn't see before.
3. Live on the internet... make friends with infertiles. Don't bother with acupuncture, herbs, or that fucking book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" or "The Infertility Cure". Burn them immediately. THEY DON'T WORK.
5. Explore your need for a genetic link. Is it more important than being a parent?
6. Avoid: Whole Foods after school time, showers, pregnant friends, neighbors, annoying inlaws. Take care of yourself, first and foremost.
7. Don't quit drinking alcohol, Diet Coke, coffee, etc. It won't make you infertile, and it won't kill your baby if by some miracle you get knocked up through science.
8. Don't stay in the "pit" too long. Try to climb out and live your life as soon as you are able.
9. If you do choose alternative routes to parenthood, accept that you will have a deep and profound loss--forever--but it will hurt less and less with time (or so I've heard).
10. Get as many narcotics from your reproductive endocrinologist NOW and horde them for fun in the future.
How many ways can I say....RIGHT ON!