Rockcrit and A-Mama Ann Powers thinks way too hard sometimes

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Into the pool with you

So I'm giving this blog thing a try. When I returned to writing fulltime this past June, I got sucked into the microcosm of music blogs, which alternately fascinated and overwhelmed me. Finally, I thought what the heck, I'll throw down. Jason Perfect Sound Forever is the enabler and catalyst. Thanks my friend, I think!

Some ways this will not be like some other music blogs I admire: It won't have MP3's at first; it won't have tons of obscure stuff because that's not what I do; it won't, I hope, be too insider-ish. Basically I'm planning to use this blog as a space to share those insights and observations I can't get into print elsewhere, because I'm the kind of loudmouth who gets frustrated when her "deep thoughts" about certain subjects aren't read by others. (Obnoxify!)

I also enjoy reading mama/daddy blogs and adoption-related blogs. Oh, and recipe blogs. So I'll probably write a bit on those subjects (food, my kid, radical reformation of the nuclear family unit) too.

To wit: the three times recently I wished I had a blog were:

-- When adoption glamor-mom Angelina Jolie wasn't generally worshipped for taking the place of the wonderful but old-hat Jamie Lee Curtis;

-- when I couldn't find anywhere to print my gushings about the Mountain Goats' amazing Sunset Tree;

-- when Brenda Chenoweth of Six Feet Under, a character I identify with to an alarming degree, was getting pummeled by the plot and I wanted to LEAP to her defense.

So I suppose that's the kind of stuff you'll be getting here. Plus links, if I can figure them out, and some personal details.

Why the name?

-- "Eensy Weensy Spider" is, in my opinion, the greatest summation of existential reality ever put to melody. Up the water spout, rain, sun, down the spout, up again. C'est la vie.

-- My comments here will be more eensy weensy than epic, more blahblah than feature-length.

-- I expect that my eensy weensy darling child, Bebe Brooklyn, will be a topic of attention.

So thanks for reading and let me know what you think of my rambles on.

xakp

3 Comments:

Blogger daphne said...

Yay!!!!!!! Welcome to the blogworld Ann!

12:42 PM

 
Blogger Raised By Bees said...

Ann,

I was bumming for Brenda too. When her baby lived, I was so happy for her.

9:01 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, here's a blast from the past. I was waxing nostalgic with the demise of Tower Records and found I've been under a rock for decades it would seem. A quick googling turned up quotes from you. How I missed you joining the LA times and the blog world is only indicative of the extreme lack of observation from me. Great to see you such a resounding success and I suspect I will continue to enjoy visiting your blog.

1:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home